Well if you like me…and you have already purchased the MLB Ticket…you are finacially vested to your hopes the Sox will come back…otherwise that’s $200 buxs you ain’t never getting back….just like bad free agents contracts…MLB Ticket subscriptions are for the life of the season. Just for this blog…for this instance…let’s say there is 10 reason’s the Sox still have hope…and they aren’t out of it just yet. Here they are…
10. Talent like this…can’t play this bad for this long. The Sox have a starting 7 that is better that most of the league…they have a rotation that is on paper better than most teams…at least the top three spots. The Sox also have pitching depth this season with Dice K and Aaron Cook set to return very soon. Did you ever think we would want to see Dice K back?
9. Manager Bobby V has made quite a few mistakes with the pitching staff early….those mistakes are not going to be as frequent…and I assure you his trigger finger will be faster in the future.
8. Whether the snap out of it when Carl Crawford returns or when they have thier complete line up…there is no way the offense can be this feeble for too much longer. The Sox have too much firepower through most of there line up to be THIS BAD
7. More offense….No way Carl Crawford and Adrian Gonzalez continue to be just large checks written. Both guys were on their way to Hall of Fame careers when they got to Boston…so it is easy to assume both players will get back on that track. Gonzalez showed a great deal of power in a pitcher’s park….at some freaking point…his power numbers will return.
6. The catching numbers will improve…if Salty can’t hit…and he can’t throw out runners…and he can’t get on base….the Sox will make a move….they have Ryan Lavarnway in Triple A. Sure he is a liability behind the dish…but hell Salty is as well…and his offense is flat-lined.
5. The starting pitching will improve….listen the Sox are playing and have played (with the exception of the Rays) the best American League teams they are going to face all season. All line ups are not going to be as difficult as the ones they have faced to start the year. The schedule will ease up and the American League’s worst starting rotation will be replaced by some other team not named the Red Sox.
4. The bullpen…whew can I say it with a straight face..that they will be better….gonna try. Mark Malencon will get it figured out in Pawtucket….I know the NL is not the Amercian League East…but is still the Major’s. The Sox will soon be adding starting depth…so some of these starters (better be Bard) will be going to the bullpen…therfore the bullpen will get stronger and better. Not much of an argument…but what can I say really…they do suck.
3. It’s early….I know the Sox occupy dead last in the Amercian League East…but you don’t really believe the O’s are better right. Also teams do and can start slow….look at the Angels and thier awful start after spending a shit ton of money (deja-vu). You don’t believe the Angels are this bad right….the Sox have a team very similiar team to the Halo’s….so if it ain’t over for them…it’s not over for us.
2. Teams like the Jays will come back to earth…teams can start out hot early…but gravity always comes into play. How many times have the Sox started poorly and finished winning 90 games or more. How many April’s have the O’s started hot…only to be in dead last by Memorial Day….all of em for the last decade or so….things tend to balance out in baseball.
1. Of course the obvious reason it is not over for the Sox…is the addition of the new wild card spot. As bad as last years ending was…and it was….the SOx would have made the post-season last year if Bud had pulled the trigger sooner on the new spot. When it all shakes out…there are 3 teams that will win divisions…leaving two spots….and lets face it…only the Rangers/Yankees/Tigers/Angels/Rays/Red Sox look to compete for those spots. Easy math there….we only have to be better than one team on that list at the end of 162 games.